I finished copying the remainder of my notes from last weekend into Gramps today, and starting trying to see what I could follow up on online. (as well as track what I need to look for tomorrow when I visit the library). I actually got a really nice hit on Elizabeth Caroline Glover right off the bat (and I wasn't even looking for her, but most of my other ancestors are proving tougher nuts to crack.
My current goal is to track all of my ancestors on Mum's side back to the point they entered Australia. If I can manage that, I might see how far back I can take the Crane and Coben lines. There's also the Keynes side too, of course, if I can get some interest from other members of my family on that side.
Btw, some useful resources if anyone else is trying to do this kind of thing:
- Family Search - Genealogical library run by the LDS. Among other resources includes the complete British 1881 census.
- FreeBMD - UK Births/Deaths/Marriages index from 1837. Doesn't have a lot of details, but it's a hell of a starting point for UK ancestors.
- General Register Office - UK BDM registry, with online ordering.
- Genuki UK and Ireland Genealogy. Massive starting point
Why yes, I do seem to have quite a few UK ancestors. Locally the best sources I've found to be the Queensland Pioneers Index/Queensland Federation Index, neither of which are online unfortunately.
- Crane: William Jasper Crane, 1867, Norfolk, UK [Waiting on verification]
- Glover: Richard Glover, 1847, Kent, UK
- Mann: In progress. Unfortunately a common name.
- Lorraway: Stuck. Possibly Loraway, both spellings seem to have been used.
- Coben: Josiah Coben, 1847, Norfolk, UK
- Wainhouse: Martha Ann Wainhouse 1855, Halifax, UK [Need to verify]
- Anderson: Stuckish.
- Birtwell: In progress
- Guest: Uncertain of the spelling as it's appeared as Gueast, Guest, Guiast... Pending.